Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Strathmore Secondary College Rezoning

In March Strathmore North Primary School students visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra and I spoke to them there about the meaning of the War Memorial.

I told them if that if they ever needed my help my Electorate Office was in Munro Street Coburg.

This morning Josh, a Grade Six Strathmore North Primary School student, rang my office and said, ‘Is that you, Kelvin?’ to Anthony Cianflone from my office who picked up the phone.

Josh referred to my offer of help when the school had visited Canberra, and explained that he was adversely affected by a decision of the Department of Education to rezone the boundaries for entry to Strathmore Secondary College- the new boundary excluded children from his area of Strathmore North.

As it happened, the State Member for Essendon, Justin Madden and I had attended and spoken to a large rally of parents and children at Strathmore Secondary College concerning this issue just yesterday. Justin had raised the issue directly with the Victorian Education Minister, and I had written to him yesterday.
 
The good news for Josh is that the Department of Education has acted to re-instate the Strathmore Heights region to the Strathmore Secondary College neighbourhood boundaries. The change of heart is a tribute to the energetic and united response of Strathmore Heights residents, extending as far as primary school children remembering and acting on an undertaking from their Federal MP!

No comments:

Post a Comment